Historic Montgomery County

2
2030 Christiansburg, Main Street view east from Hickok Street (photo)=SS=CO=BU

Main Street Christiansburg, c.1960 looking east from Hickok Street. Among the many businesses shown in this photo is the Palace Theater, which was operated by W. Shuler Snidow, on the right. The 600-seat theater was built about 1935 and remained in business until 1971.  The Palace Café Restaurant and Cromer Furniture are on the left side of the street. Cromer Furniture began as Lawrence Furniture Store in 1911 and was owned by Mr. & Mrs. Archie Cromer, Sr.; Mr. & Mrs.  Elmer Keith; and J. William Pepper. The store closed in 1985. (This photo, from the D. D. Lester Collection, and many more are available from the Montgomery Museum of Art and History.)