Christiansburg American Legion meeting March 1
- Christiansburg American Legion Post 59 meets the first Wednesday of every month. If you have served federal active duty in the U.S Armed Forces during any of the war eras, and have been honorably discharged or are still serving, you are eligible for membership in the American Legion.
- Meetings are held 6:30-7:30 p.m. at 490 High St. in Christiansburg. Membership costs $35 and meals are $4. For more information, contact Jack Pickering 381-0989
Harvey-Howe-Carper Post American Legion meeting March 2
- The American Legion, Harvey-Howe-Carper Post 30 will meet on Thursday, March 2, at 7 p.m. at the VFW Post Home on 102 Watts St. in Radford. All veterans, men and women, are invited to attend.
- If Radford City Public Schools are closed on Thursday or Friday of that week due to weather, the meeting will be cancelled.
Sons of Confederate Veterans meeting March 14
- The Sons of Confederate Veterans, Stuart Horse Artillery Camp 1784 will meet on March 14 at 7 p.m. at Ray’s Restaurant on Rt. 221, north of Floyd.
- Members of the United Daughters of the Confederacy (UDC) are also invited to attend. If Floyd County Public Schools are closed on Tuesday or Wednesday of that week due to weather, the meeting will be cancelled.
- For more information, please call 1-213-233-8401 or 239-9864.
Annual winter burn ban in effect Feb. 15-April 30
- On Feb. 15, the Town’s annual winter burn ban began and it will be in effect through April 30.
- During this time, as moisture levels are typically low, open burning in Christiansburg and Montgomery County is only allowed from 4 p.m. to midnight.
- If you plan on having a fire, you must notify the Christiansburg Fire Department (540-382-4388 – leave a message) and the NRV 911 Communication Center (382-4343).
- Fires must be attended at all times and be completely out before you leave the burn area.
NAACP general body meeting Feb. 26
- The next general body meeting of the Montgomery County-Radford City-Floyd County NAACP will be held on Sunday at 3:30 p.m., at Asbury United Methodist Church, 500 Stuart St. in Christiansburg.
- For our CREDO presentation we will have a representative from the Christiansburg Institute, the Christiansburg Institute Alumni Association, and the Christiansburg Community Center to share our new working agreement, future plans and results from the summit recently held with the Town of Christiansburg and the Montgomery County Board of Supervisors. All are welcome.
Christiansburg Recreation Center offers AARP tax aid
- The Christiansburg Recreation Center will offer the free AARP Tax Aid program beginning Thursday, Feb. 2 through April 15.
- Appointments may be scheduled for Monday, Tuesday and Thursday between 1-3:15 p.m. and on Saturdays from 9-11:15 a.m.
- The Recreation Center will begin taking appointments on Jan. 9. Please call 382-2349 to make an appointment or to get more information.
Leave a Reply