Radford Invitational winners
- A recent AAU youth basketball tournament has released its winners in each category.
- They included: boys- third grade, Dynasty; fourth grade, Salem Generals; fifth grade, Salem Generals; sixth grade, West Virginia Elite; seventh grade, Graham; and eighth grade, NRV Force; girls- sixth grade, Marion; and seventh grade, West Virginia Warriors/Fusion.
- The event was held at the Radford Recreation Center.
Thursday night skiing
- Blacksburg Parks & Recreation has worked with Winterplace Ski Resort to offer a night of skiing on Thursday, March 2 from 4 p.m. to midnight. The trips include transportation, lift ticket, ski rental, and 90 minute lesson. Personal equipment is welcome.
- The price is $60 for town residents and $70 for non-residents. For more information, contact 961-1135.
Highlander half-marathon and 8K
- The inaugural Highlander Half-Marathon and 8K has been announced for April 29 in Radford. The event gets underway at 8 a.m. with a kid’s fun run at 9 a.m.
- Prices are $70 for half-marathon and $50 for the 8K.
- Registration includes a short sleeved technical t-shirt, finisher’s medal and post-race food and festivities. Awards will be given for overall Male and Female and the top (3) finishers in each age group.
- The Highlander Kids Fun Run will be held in the Patrick D. Cupp Memorial Stadium. The kids will run (4) laps around our certified 400 meter collegiate track being cheered on by Radford Highlander Track and Field Athletes. All participants will be awarded a medal at the Finish followed by a finish line celebration and pizza party.
- All race proceeds will be used to support the Student-Athlete Scholarship Fund which provides scholarship aid to Radford University’s 16 varsity sports.
- The half-marathon and 8K race course will take runners on a tour of Radford that includes the university campus and surrounding neighborhoods.
- As participants make their way back to the Dedmon Center, 8K runners will head to the finish line, while half marathon runners will continue through Bisset Park, Wildwood Park and areas surrounding Radford High School.
- For more information or to signup, go to runsignup.com/Race/VA/Radford/HighlanderHalfMarathon8K.
Hike for Hospice
- The Good Samaritan Hospice is holding a hike, Sunday, April 23 at Claytor Lake State Park and will support the agency’s “bereavement program.”
- Individual registration is $25 with student registration being $20. Team of four can walk for $80. Children under the age of three are free. T-shirts will be provided to all participants over the age of three.
- This is a rain or shine event, and four-legged friends are permitted on a leash. The afternoon will include a lunch, a blue grass band, games, fishing, three different hikes with varying degrees of difficulty and a memorial ceremony with a dove release.
- The event is scheduled for 1:30 p.m. to 3:30 p.m. and will be held at the Claytor Lake State Park’s Picnic Shelter #1.
- To register go online to www.goodsamhospice.org.
RU baseball clinic
- Radford University in cooperation with the Christiansburg Department of Parks and Recreation will hold a baseball clinic on March 9 at the Harkrader Sports Complex. The event is slated for 5:30-8 p.m. and is free to the public.
- For more information contact Nick Yopp at 382-2349, ext. 2007.
Leave a Reply