The demise of Motor Mile Dragway is not completely true. Rumors started circulating last week that it would not reopen this season, but track officials said the former leasee did not renew his contract.
In a statement, Motor Mile said Kevin Pollard opted to not renew his lease agreement for 2017 with Motor Mile Dragway because the bracket series did not prove to be financially viable.
Local racers were left scratching their heads over the decision.
Michelle Vaught is the general manager of the dragway and the adjacent speedway.
“We are currently in the process of finalizing our 2017 plans. A variety of racing formats and special events are under consideration. While it is possible that bracket racing won’t be returning this season, as we have not found a leasing partner, reports that Mile Dragway will not be racing at all in 2017 are inaccurate. We are looking to focus on our Friday Night Test and Tune program as well as some exciting events that will draw spectators,” she said.
Everyone one involved is looking to the long term.
“The primary concern associated with this off-season review has been the long-term future of Motor Mile Dragway. We want to ensure that the dragstrip is operational into the future, and the business decisions we make for the 2017 season will reflect this,” Vaught said.
Motor Mile Dragway will entertain partnership opportunities for 2017. Interested parties should contact Vaught at 639-1700 or firstname.lastname@example.org.