Back in time

The Southern Dairies (a subsidiary of Sealtest) plant building still stands on Roanoke Street as part of the Southern States store in Christiansburg. The Art Deco style building was built in 1938 after the company’s Cambria plant burned. When the new building opened, the company was purchasing milk from 700 regional dairy farmers. (This photo is from the D. D. Lester Collection. This image and many more are available from the Montgomery Museum & Lewis Miller Regional Art Center.)

more recommended stories